.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Throwback: Rage, "Run To You"

Poster Girl did a post today mentioning Bryan Adams' "Run To You," which prompted me to recall early '90s U.K. dance act Rage (or En-Rage as they became) and their 1992 rave-tastic take on the '80s classic. This was a track I didn't discover till 10 years later, when I painstakingly made a 12-disc Eurodance compilation covering the decade from 1992 to 2002.

I spent the better part of '02 scouring used record stores and eBay for '90s dance compilations, and found "Run To You" on a 2-disc one from Germany called Viva Europop!



Chilly, mechanical music to my ears! And to think, I was an oblivious 18-year-old schlepping across campus one month into my college freshman year when this classy jam was out.

There's not much out there on Rage or this track, but I did find the following bit of info on a site about one of the original songwriters, Jim Vallance:
"Essentially, in the studio En-rage consisted of producers Barry Leng and Duncan Hannant, plus vocalist Tony Jackson. Leng and Hannant were also behind the group E'Voke, who released a successful dance version of John Waite's "Missing You".

Tony Jackson's voice was already well-know in the UK due to his work as a session singer on a number of popular television commercials, including Libby's Umbongo Juice and a Levi jeans commercial that used 'I Heard it Through The Grapevine'. Jackson passed away in 2001."
Rage's version of "Run To You" peaked at #3 on the U.K. chart in October '92. Surprisingly, the video is available for download from iTunes, though the song on its own is not.

ALSO SEE:
* Throwback, Spring 1993: Don't Walk Away Boy
* Throwback: U.S.U.R.A., "Open Your Mind"
* Throwback: Cola Boy, "7 Ways To Love"