.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Sony F3 (Sony PMWF3K), is it worth it? I think so, but it comes with a hefty price tag


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Hope you all got what you wanted from Santa. He'll be dropping me off a brand new Canon 7D in a few days!! Now many of you might think I'm already giving up on the traditional video camera and completely jumping on the whole DSLR trend.

Not exactly, one particular camcorder I'm looking forward to seeing and working with is the new Sony PMW-F3! Designed for a wide range of digital production applications, this is supposed to be the next big camera for independent producers like myself.
 


"Representing a breakthrough for independent producers and filmmakers in terms of features, performance and price, Sony Electronics is unveiling its first professional handheld digital production camera with a Super 35mm imager." This was the opening statement in SONY's official press release that's titled, 'SONY UNVEILS FIRST PROFESSIONAL HANDHELD SUPER 35MM DIGITAL PRODUCTION CAMERA'. 
Here's a short film shot on the new Sony F3 called "Convergnce" from Martin Scanlan and DP Steve Lawes.
After doing more research on the camera and its specifications, I was exciting to see all that Sony Had to offer... but of course, this would come with a price tag. A price tag that I personally believe exceeds the budget of the average "independent producers and filmmakers", I wasn't surprised when I actually saw the the camera in action.

Here is some nice sample footage thanks to Stargate Studios who's working on a short film called "The Red Balloon" with the Sony PMW-F3.

Considering Sony F3 camera and body is in the $20,000+ pricing range, I guess its not a fair battle to compare this and the Canon 5d Mark ii. But how about putting it side by side with the Red One Camera...

Another camera I can only dream to get my hands on for the time being, the RED ONE Camera is apparently the camera to have these days if you can afford it... but if your just shy of the Red One, you might want to consider the Sony F3 (although I'd say you're better off saving the little difference). But again, it all really depends on your specific needs. You may even be better of getting a few Canon 7D's and 5D's considering how inexpensive they are in comparison.



But I figured I'd give y'all a heads up and few different thoughts and considerations when deciding to purchase your new Canon 5D, Sony F3 or even a RED ONE Camera! Now go and see how much Christmas money Santa gave you this year... and start saving up lol