.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

I'd Like To Shove Chris Martin Up The Pussycat Dolls

Last week in the comments, Chart Rigger reader Shaun posed the thoughtful question: Is Chris Martin doable? Hmmm...


I'm not so sure, Shaun. Looking at this picture, by the time you got him out of his seven layers of 1920's carnival garb and got him into a shower to scrub off all the chiggers and pretension...oh, who am I kidding? I'd joust his mouth.

Admittedly, I like Coldplay's latest single, "Viva La Vida." The lyrics are kind of like, What? History class? That was, like, 15 years ago, but "Viva La Vida" has the type of audacious, big-sounding grandness to it usually heard in the '80s by folks like Tears For Fears, or in Jim Steinman productions. It honestly deserves to be #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week.

The yo-yo effect appears to be in full force as Natsha Bedingfield re-enters the Top 10 with "Pocketful Of Sunshine" and Chris Brown's "Forever" is just outside it at #11, after initially debuting at #9 seven weeks ago. Even Mariah Cougar Carey slips back up to #19 with "Bye Bye," her second hit to cash in on dead grandmas and little children in coffins. Do it for JC, girlfriend!

Last week I pondered whether the Pussycat Dolls would find themselves facing a sophomore pussyslump, but so far they're probably snorting catnip in delight that "When I Grow Up" is the week's Sales Gainer, and jumps from #76 to #31.

Here are the broads, now a fivesome, performing the song on Jimmy Kimmel Live a few weeks back:



I think the cats in the alley behind my house sound better. But, hey, maybe now it's a good time to dig out that shelved Nicole Scherzinger banterview MoogaBoo and I did last year! You know, shelved...like her solo album was after her six singles went straight to the litterbox.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Lollipop" - Lil Wayne Feat. Static Major *5 weeks*
2. "Viva La Vida'" - Coldplay
3. "Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis
4. "I Kissed A Girl" - Katy Perry
5. "Take A Bow" - Rihanna *airplay gainer*
6. "Love In This Club" - Usher Feat. Young Jeezy
7. "No Air" - Jordin Sparks Duet With Chris Brown
8. "Sexy Can I" - Ray J & Young Berg
9. "Pocketful Of Sunshine" - Natasha Bedingfield
10. "4 Minutes" - Madonna Feat. Justin Timberlake