.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chris Brown And Rihanna: Sadly, Was It Always Right There In The Lyrics?

Given the events of what happened Grammy weekend between Rihanna and Chris Brown—and, no one really knows what went down but them, even though it's being dissected daily—a look back at some of the two singers' lyrics is proving to have an eerie resonance.

Rihanna has always tackled singles that have either really inane, throwaway lines ("Break It Off") or very dark, desperate subject matter ("Disturbia", "Rehab").

Most of all, whatever did actually happen, it makes me sad. I really like these two. Domestic violence is absolutely not cool, though to paraphrase from Dusty Springfield via the Pet Shop Boys, nothing has been proved.

* "Rehab": Don't even recognize the ways you hit me, do you?/ It's gonna take a miracle to bring me back, and you're the one to blame... Damn, ain't it crazy when your love slams?

* "SOS":
S.O.S, please, someone help me/ It's not healthy for me to feel this way... This time please someone come and rescue me.

* "Unfaithful": Our love, his trust/ I might as well take a gun and put it to his head/ Get it over with/ I don't wanna do this anymore.

* "Hate That I Love You": And you completely know the power that you have... It's not fair how you take advantage of the fact/ That I love you beyond the reason why/ And it just ain't right.

* Take A Bow": Don't tell me you're sorry, 'cause you're not/ Baby, when I know you're only sorry you got caught.

* "No Air": If I should die before I wake/ It's 'cause you took my breath away... Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air?

But perhaps the most , uh, disturbing lyrics come from "Disturbia," Rihanna's forboding #1 hit from last summer that Chris Brown wrote:

* "Disturbia": It's a thief in the night to come and grab you/ It can creep up inside and consume you... Release me from this curse I'm in/ Trying to maintain but I'm struggling/ If you can't go, I think I'm gonna ah, ah, ah, ah!

ALSO:
Remember this incident from last spring, where Chris Brown got into a brawl at at Munich dance club, then immediately did damage control with a video rebuttal of the event?



Thanks to Lisa Timmons for her Ri-Ri wisdom.