.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Eric Prydz, I Luv U Baby!

Will D'luv's restless ears ever tire of hearing and invoking a pop conspiracy? This week's U.K. chart finds Eric Prydz' '90s house throwback "Pjanoo" (or piano) enter at #2, matching the Swede DJ's January 2007 peak with "Proper Education."

But I can't help drawing at least a somewhat minute parallel between "Pjanoo" and one of my all-time fave '90s Euro-dance classics, The Original's "I Luv U Baby"—another jam that peaked at #2 on the U.K. chart in August 1995 (exactly 14 years ago this month).

Jesus, MoogaBoo and I used to go out and cut a rug to that one when we were 21. What are we now? 26? Yeah, sounds about right.



Elsewhere, Alphabeat's "Boyfriend" climbs to #15. Good. It deserves it, if only for the masterful "Pete Hammond Mix" (listen here). That particular version has become a clear frontrunner for my fave track of 2008 so far.

Do yourself a favor: Hop in your car and listen to that mix at a respectable, loud volume while jetting down the freeway like I did driving to Arizona for the holiday weekend.

Flying through the desert never felt so Linn-drum-tastic.

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "I Kissed A Girl" - Katy Perry *4 weeks*
2. "Pjanoo" - Eric Prydz *new*
3. "Disturbia" - Rihanna
4. "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" - The Script
5. "Mountains" - Biffy Clyro
6. "All Summer Long" - Kid Rock
7. "Beggin'" - Madcon
8. "Dance Wiv Me" - Dizzee Rascal/Calvin Harris/Chrome
9. "Love Is Noise" - The Verve
10. "5 Years Time" - Noah & The Whale