.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Week That Was: May 17, 2008

D'luv does an about face(book).

Last Sunday I rhetorically asked if we have Kylie fatigue. Funny thing is that this week I rather un-rhetorically have grown tired of another pop culture phemonena; I believe I'm suffering from social networking site fatigue. In particular, let's talk about Facebook.

I joined Facebook during a trip to Austin last September to see my pal Alex. He's found himself being a student again, pursuing his master's degree, and he got hooked on Facebook late last summer. And I'll admit, while visiting him, it was addictive watching him post pictures he'd just taken which then tagged and immediately linked to all his friend's profiles. (Ah, the origin of the notorious shirtless pic of D'luv at Austin City Limits...)

So I joined. Then I never checked my account after that weekend. The e-mails would come in over the months saying so-and-so had added me, and I'd struggle to remember my password and eventually remember then add them. Then I'd let another month or so go by.

But then things took a turn around February. "Kids" I went to high school with started adding me as a friend...people I hadn't spoken to in 16 years. Now, I'd been through this all before on MySpace, and it was the reason I was leery of joining Facebook; you get the friend add, you exchange one or two pleasant e-mails wherein you spill your past decade's life story into five or six paragraphs, then you never, ever, ever hear from this person again. But there they remain, on your "friends" list.

As a side note, in January I finally just deleted my personal MySpace (though the Chart Rigger one remains).

So, then this week rolled around, and I got a deluge of three friend adds from folks I went to high school with -- all three of whom were really, really nice people from what I can remember, but none of which I hung out with outside of whatever classes we might have shared. Maybe it's karma for the Throwback posts I've been doing?

And so I've been wondering about the kind of feelings these things dredge up. I guess it just depends on what your own personal high school experience was like. Me, I never, ever miss the high school years, though that's not to say I didn't enjoy them. In fact, I just kind of thought high school was strict and boring and couldn't wait to get to college.

Besides, shouldn't it be like Steps once sang -- some things are better best forgotten?

Inevitably, Facebook and MySpace are probably only what you make of them. They can be just what they say they are -- networking sites -- or they can be a means to sneak a peak at what kind of trash your former classmates got up to.

Me, I'm far to lazy to bother with either. I mainly just like seeing how ugly my exes turned out.

****
Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon's wedding pics are in this week's issue of People. (Or was it last week? Who can keep up with this bitch?)

The couple celebrated their nuptials in the most classy way possible -- riding the roller coasters at California's Magic Mountain amusement park.

Hopefully a bat didn't fly up her wedding snack on the way down.

****
Lorraine (remember them) have a new single out! Here's the vid for "When I Return To The World."



Their full album is finally out this summer (promises the publicist).

****
Coldplay have a new politically-charged video for single "Violet Hill." They should have shot for album title-track "Viva La Vida," which charted higher on Billboard's Hot 100 this week, instead. It's much more upbeat. But it's still Coldplay.

****
ELSEWHERE:
* Worrapolava: No, you were right, Phil. Katy Perry's a dumb snatch.
* Olga Loves Yuri: Wife be damned, he's going to see Madonna.
* This Man's World: Wife be damned, Dan's going, too.
* Fizzy Pop: Paul claims Alannah Myles is still alive.
* Poster Girl: Still boy crazy. Slut.
* Towleroad: Cyndi Lauper fever is spreading.
* Pop Trash Addicts: More Cyndi. Plus, I didn't win the Dannii CD.