.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Keeping Up With The Ting Tings

Is it just me or is 2008 shaping up to be the first exciting year of new pop/rock talent we've seen since 2004, when The Killers, Franz Ferdinand and Snow Patrol broke through into the mainstream? Acts like Sam Sparro and Alphabeat scored big U.K. hits and started the early winter months off with something to look forward to, kicking down the door for this week's new #1, "That's Not My Name" by The Ting Tings.

Of course, I'm still just catching up with the erratic singles flying all over the place at the moment by the Brit girl/boy duo! Here in the States, my jam for the past month has been "Great DJ," which is in heavy rotation on alt rock radio (at least in L.A.), while "Shut Up And Let Me Go" recently charted at #55 on Billboard's Hot 100 after its inclusion in an Apple commercial.

Nonetheless, it's "That's Not My Name" which takes over the U.K. chart this week, keeping Rihanna's current U.S. #1, "Take A Bow," stuck at #2. Meanwhile, with all this new activity, poor Kylie, who debuted at #10 with "In My Arms" last week is knocked down to #17.

But I'm down with The Ting Tings. A little digging reveals that singer Katie White was in some teen pop act called TKO who once supported Steps and Five. And to think, she probably could have died happy back then...

Well, if she was lucky, Lee Steps hit it. And maybe H did her nails.

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "That's Not My Name" - The Ting Tings *1 week*
2. "Take A Bow" - Rihanna *new*
3. "4 Minutes" - Madonna Feat. Justin Timberlake
4. "Heartbreaker" - Will.I.Am Feat. Cheryl Cole
5. "Wearing My Rolex" - Wiley
6. "Black And Gold" - Sam Sparro
7. "Love In This Club" - Usher Feat. Young Jeezy
8. "Violet Hill" - Coldplay
9.
"American Boy" - Estelle Feat. Kanye West
10.
"Cry For You" - September