.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

R.I.P. Levi Stubbs

This makes me extremely sad. Well, the Dateline tribute video from Friday night that I posted here got taken down, but...

Four Tops frontman Levi Stubbs passed away at age 72 Friday, and admittedly, I cried like a baby when I found out. The two clips I've posted below really show that not only could Stubbs blow any of today's manufactured pop singers out of the water when singing live (the "Reach Out I'll Be There" vid), but Motown probably will never be matched in its structuring of simplistic, catchy hooks.



Levi Stubbs always had one of the most memorable voices in pop, and I can't imagine my teenage summers without having on the Pittsburgh oldies station while driving around listening to the Four Tops.

And, of course, Little Shop Of Horrors (the movie) just wouldn't have been the same without him!

In 1991, after discovering the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" in my parents' old 45s, I infamously swore off modern pop to my friends and told them I was only going to listen to Motown for the rest of my life. That lasted for about three days.

Luckily I got to see the Four Tops twice in concert before Stubbs retired.

Goodnight, Levi :*(

ALSO SEE LEVI STUBBS REMEMBERED AT:
* The Huffington Post
* New York Times
* Los Angeles Times
* Entertainment Weekly