.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Taio Cruz And Enrique Iglesias Have Far Less Annoying Summer Hits Than Katy Perry

I'm was kind of officially over Katy Perry's "California Gurls"—now at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for a fifth week—after about four plays back in May. And if you ask me, there are far better "Songs Of The Summer" out there, i.e. tracks that aren't necessarily the best ones around, but likely the lesser of the evils you're going to hear relentlessly played on the radio till you want to stab someone through the skull with a beach umbrella.

One such jam would be Taio Cruz's "Dynamite," which was co-written by Max Martin and produced by Dr. Luke and Benny Blanco. With Ke$ha's "Your Love Is My Drug" and Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" dropping out of the Top 10, there's room for Taio's upbeat single to hop in at #7. Pure pop.



The next one wore me down much slower. I almost feel ashamed to own up to the fact that I like Enrique Iglesias' "I Like It" (for now), for the sheer fact that it's somewhat tied in to MTV's bumpit-wound trainwreck series Jersey Shore. Alas, it's grown on me like Russell Brand's bed monster snaking up Katy Perry's thigh at 7 a.m.

At any rate, I'm starting to warm to "I Like It" with each listen, and this week the song jumps up to #18, thereby becoming Iglesias' highest charting single on the Hot 100 since "Escape" reached #12 back in 2002. Over on iTunes "I Like It" moved up to #4, where it's been sitting for the past few days. So expect it to probably start threatening the Top 10 next week.

 I just wish there was a version available sans Pitbull.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "California Gurls" - Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg *5 weeks*
2. "Love The Way You Lie" - Eminem feat. Rihanna
3. "OMG" - Usher feat. will.i.am
4. "Airplanes" - B.o.B feat. Hayley Williams
5. "Billionaire" - Travie McCoy feat. Bruno Mars
6. "Cooler Than Me" - Mike Posner
7. "Dynamite" - Taio Cruz
8. "Find Your Love" - Drake
9. "Ridin' Solo" - Jason Derulo
10. "Not Afraid" - Eminem