.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pop Conspiracy: Rihanna's "Disturbia" Video Vs. Pet Shop Boys' "Yesterday When I Was Mad"

Rihanna's "Disturbia" video just popped up on YouTube but will probably get yanked soon. It's directed by David LaChapelle, and is slightly reminiscent of Pet Shop Boys' 1994 clip for "Yesterday When I Was Mad," in that they both quite literally deal with mental anguish and madness. Apparently Chris Brown, who co-wrote "Disturbia," had originally planned to record the song himself for Exclusive, but felt it needed a female voice.

It all sort of makes sense now, given Chris' idolization of Michael Jackson, and how much I initially thought "Disturbia" sounded like a modern day "Thriller" before I knew he wrote it.



I have to say, I really admire how much Chris Brown and Rihanna are changing the sound of American pop.